RevolutionEHR offers an application programming interface (API) for authorized 3rd party developers to use in their applications. An example of such an application could be one that a patient installs on their mobile device to collect their own data from all of their health care providers.
For a 3rd party developer to be in position to access patient data, three things need to happen:
- The developer needs to register with RevolutionEHR; and
- A practice needs to enable the developer as a partner; and
- A patient needs to provide authorization to the developer to access their data
Without all three steps being true, a 3rd party application cannot access patient data.
Step 1: Developer registration with RevolutionEHR
While a developer should not contact practices as part of this process, if one does, they can be directed to the resources on this page: https://www.revolutionehr.com/developer-resources/
Step 2: Enable the developer as a partner
- Once a developer registers with RevolutionEHR, they will appear in the Patient Data Integrations section of the Partner Integrations tab of Practice Preferences (Admin > General > Practice Preferences): See Example
- To authorize a developer to collect patient data upon patient request, enable the partner of interest. The User Name and Password displayed after enabling the partner can be provided to the patient.
Step 3: Direct the patient to RevolutionPHR to generate a token for the application they’d like to use
- Ensure that the patient has access to RevolutionPHR
- Direct the patient to navigate to the “About Me” tab within RevolutionPHR. An Application Access section can be found at the bottom of the page. The patient will select the option to “Generate” a token/code. See Example
- The patient can then use the token/code to authorize the 3rd party application to access their data.
To summarize, the practice’s involvement to make sure a patient can access data through an application of their choice involves only two things:
- Ensure the specific partner is enabled for the practice; and
- Ensure the patient has access to RevolutionPHR and knows where to generate their token