Once you have completed setup of RevDirect in your system, you are ready to start communicating securely! While you can use Direct to correspond back and forth just as you would with standard email, one of the significant benefits of the Direct protocol is being able to exchange clinical information securely and in electronic format.
- When you are the recipient of a message with electronic clinical information, those messages and attachments will be delivered directly to your Messages inbox.
- When you are the sender of electronic health information, there are two potential paths to follow and that decision ultimately comes down to whether or not you are referring a patient to another provider.
- Access Patients > search for and open a patient > Referrals.
- Click the + icon.
- In the Referred To field, select an external provider from the dropdown menu. Note: The patient's default provider from your practice is automatically input into the Referred By field, change if appropriate.
- Complete all required fields.
- Click 'Add.'
- Click 'Generate' to attach a transition of care document.
- In the Generate Transition of Care Document modal, select the appropriate options and click '+Generate.'
- Click 'Send.' Note: The send button is not enabled for use if either of the Referred To or Referred By providers do not have a Direct address within their profile.
- In the New Message modal, add a message, if appropriate, and click 'Send.'
- Click 'Save.'
In situations where a referral is not taking place, but another provider requests information from you, there are two file types available to help: a clinical summary and a record summary. The choice of which file to use can be based on the specifics of the request:
- Clinical Summary: A clinical summary is a document covering a single visit. It can be created from the Summary icon within the encounter header. See Example
- Record Summary: A record summary is a document that is a summary of the patient's medical record. It can be created from the Record Summary button in the patient header. See Example
Selecting either summary opens a configuration window where the contents and format of the file can be specified. The key designation here to ensure an electronic file is provided to the other provider is setting the File Format value to XML. See Example
Once generated and saved, the Messages module can be used to send the file to the requesting provider as an attachment. External providers with Direct addresses logged in their RevolutionEHR profile are differentiated from internal employees by an arrow icon preceding their name. See Example