Determine if the item was paid for by the patient or by an insurance company and complete the associated instructions noted below.
- Access Accounting > Invoices > search for and open all invoices that are linked to the returned item.
- Process the following for all linked invoices.
- Click the icon beside Paid in the Status field; click the green check mark to change to Active.
- Click the green check mark beside Authorized to change to Pending.
- Process the following on the invoice where the charges were originally assigned. Note: The appropriate invoice has the Qty column highlighted in yellow.
- Highlight a line item and click the (-) icon.
- Click 'Yes' in the Remove Item modal.
- Step 5 creates a credit on the invoice and a Grant Credit button displays.
- Click 'Grant Credit.'
- Follow the instructions below for either Paid by Patient or Paid by Insurance.
If Patient Paid On The Returned Item
- Click the checkbox beside Refund to Patient.
- Input a refund amount.
- Select the appropriate refund type in the dropdown menu.
- Click 'Apply.' Note: The invoice status is updated to Paid status with this action.
If Insurance Paid On The Returned Item
- Contact insurance company to inform of item returned.
- Insurance company will either request a check or recoup from future EOB.