Determine if the item was paid for by the patient or by an insurance company and complete the associated instructions noted below.
- Access Accounting > Invoices > search for the invoice containing the item being removed. Note: If the item resides on more than one invoice due to a transfer, open all associated invoices.
- Process the following for all involved invoices.
- Click the edit icon beside Paid; select Active from the dropdown menu, click the check mark icon.
- Click 'Pending.'
- Process the following on the invoice where the charges were originally assigned.
- Click the (-) icon for the payment line item.
- Click 'Yes' in the Remove Item modal.
- Step 2 creates a credit on the invoice and a Grant Credit button displays.
- Click 'Grant Credit.'
- Follow the instructions below for either Paid by Patient or Paid by Insurance.
If Patient Paid On The Returned Item
- Click the checkbox beside Refund to Patient.
- Input a refund amount.
- Select the appropriate refund type in the dropdown menu.
- Click 'Apply.' Note: The invoice status is updated to Paid status with this action.
If Insurance Paid On The Returned Item
- Contact insurance company to inform of item returned.
- Insurance company will either request a check or recoup from future EOB.