If an item has been paid for and is being returned, determine if the item was paid for by the patient or by an insurance company and complete the associated instructions noted below.
- Access Accounting > Invoices > search for the invoice containing the item being removed. Note: If the item resides on more than one invoice due to a transfer, open all associated invoices.
- Process the following for all involved invoices.
- Click the edit icon beside Paid; select Active from the dropdown menu, click the check mark icon.
- Click 'Pending.'
- Process the following on the invoice where the charges were originally assigned.
- Click the (-) icon for the payment line item.
- Click 'Yes' in the Remove Item modal.
- Step 2 creates a credit on the invoice and a Grant Credit button displays.
- Click 'Grant Credit.'
- Follow the instructions below for either Paid by Patient or Paid by Insurance.
If Patient Paid On The Returned Item
- Click the checkbox beside Refund to Patient.
- Input a refund amount.
- Select the appropriate refund type in the dropdown menu.
- Click 'Apply.' Note: The invoice status is updated to Paid status with this action.
If Insurance Paid On The Returned Item
- Contact insurance company to inform of item returned.
- Insurance company will either request a check or recoup from future EOB.