If you are not eligible for your state's Medicaid EHR Incentive Program (formerly known as Meaningful Use), turn your attention to MIPS.
How to Achieve Success
You need to meet performance thresholds for all Medicaid PI measures over any 90 consecutive day period in 2021.
|Protect Patient Health Information||HIPAA Security Risk Analysis|
|e-Prescribing||Generate and transmit permissible prescriptions electronically|
|Clinical Decision Support||CDS Rules|
|Computerized Provider Order Entry||CPOE - Medication Orders|
|CPOE - Laboratory Orders|
|CPOE - Diagnostic Imaging Orders|
|Patient Electronic Access to Health Information||Access to PHR within 48 hours of Encounter|
|Patient-Specific Education Provided via PHR|
|Coordination of Care through Patient Engagement
Meet at least two
|Patients View, Download or Transmit from PHR|
|Patient-Generated Health Data|
|Health Information Exchange
Meet at least two
|Sending Summary of Care|
|Request/Accept Summary of Care|
|Clinical Information Reconciliation|
|Public Health and Clinical Data Exchange
Meet at least two
|Immunization Registry Reporting|
|Syndromic Surveillance Reporting|
|Electronic Case Registry Reporting|
|Public Health Registry Reporting|
|Clinical Data Registry Reporting|
In addition to PI measures, you will also report clinical quality measure (CQM) data for six measures for at least 90 consecutive days (regardless of when you first participated in your state's program). The CQMs are tracked automatically by RevolutionEHR. While statistical performance on these measures is not important for PI success (i.e. there are no thresholds to meet), it can be involved in scoring determinations for other programs such as the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS).
States will likely open for 2021 program attestations prior to the end of the year due to the 90-day minimum for eCQMs. Please contact your state for official attestation guidance.
Official CMS Promoting Interoperability Resources:
- Medicaid EHR Incentive Program Objectives and Measures for 2021
- Guide for Eligible Professionals Practicing in Multiple Locations
- Modified Stage 2 and Stage 3 Final Rule
Scorecards in RevolutionEHR
Reports > Administration > Providers > Promoting Interop - Stage 3
Indicators to the far right of each measure will illustrate when thresholds are met (green) not met (red) or an exclusion is applicable (gold).
Reports > Administration > Providers > Clinical Quality Measures
Type should be set to eCQM Primary.
Explanations of how measures are tracked and scored available below:
- Diabetes: Eye Exam
- Closing the Referral Loop (high-priority measure)
- Documentation of Current Medications in the Medical Record (high-priority measure)
- Use of High-Risk Medications in Older Adults (high-priority measure)
- Cataracts: 20/40 or Better Visual Acuity within 90 Day Following Cataract Surgery (applicable to surgeons only) (outcome measure)
- POAG: Optic Nerve Evaluation
- Diabetic Retinopathy: Communication with the Physician Managing Ongoing Diabetes Care (high-priority measure)
Registration and Attestation Process Resources:
- Registration User Guide for Medicaid Eligible Professionals
- CMS EHR Incentive Program Registration and Attestation System Website
Audit and Security Resources:
- Security Risk Analysis Tip Sheet (April 2016)
- ONC Guide to Privacy and Security of Electronic Health Information (April 2015)
- ONC SRA Tool
- This is a great tool to assist the exploration of your practice for security risks. It also provides associated documentation of your efforts.