If multiple people have access to the same computer, it is recommended that a separate account is created for each person. Windows allows the creation of multiple user accounts on one PC. Each account can be configured with different settings and allows control of files and folders separately. When each user logs on with their user account, it is like accessing a unique computer.
Create New User Account
- Choose Start→Control Panel or simply type Control Panel in the search in the bottom left.
- From the Control Panel, click the Add or Remove User Accounts link.
- The Manage Accounts dialog box displays.
- Click 'Create a New Account.'
- The Create New Account dialog box displays.
- Enter an account name and then select the type of account you want to create.
- An Administrator can perform actions like creating and changing accounts as well as install programs. A Standard user will not have those permissions.
- Click 'Create Account' and then close the Control Panel.
After you create an account, you can make changes to it, such as assigning a password or changing the account type, by double-clicking on the new account in the Manage Accounts dialog box.
- Include between 8-12 characters.
- Include numbers, symbols, capital letters, and lower-case letters.
- Not a dictionary word or combination of dictionary words.
- Does not rely on obvious substitutions.