This feature allows for a barcode scanner to scan a barcode on a physical item, which will trigger a specific action in RevolutionEHR. When a barcode is scanned, the system searches the UPCs of Products along with the UPCs and SKUs of Physical Inventory Items. If exactly one Product or Physical Inventory Item is found, the item is selected. If multiple records or no records are found, the system displays an error message.
Almost every barcode scanner is compatible with RevolutionEHR. Review the user manual for your barcode scanner to make sure that:
- The scanner is in "keyboard wedge" mode.
- The scanner outputs the "Enter or Return" key after each scan.
Adding UPC or SKU Numbers to Inventory Items
To use your scanner to find a Product or Physical Inventory item, a UPC or SKU must
already exist in RevolutionEHR for that item. This can be done by typing the UPC or SKU
number into the appropriate field, or the number can be added using your barcode scanner.
This should be done when adding a new item but can also be updated for existing items.
With the appropriate Product or Physical Inventory item open, focus your cursor in the UPC
or SKU field and scan the barcode for the item. This will copy that code into RevolutionEHR
and reduce transcription errors that can occur when manually entering numbers. Note: If you are adding a Physical Inventory Item to an Eyeglass Frame product that was imported, the UPC will automatically be added based on the import data from FramesData.
Lookup Items in Inventory
Access Inventory > Products. The Products dashboard defaults to search by product, click the radio button for Barcode, the cursor is focused in the search field by default, scan the product. If a single matching Product is found, the system opens the product to the Inventory tab which displays the matching product.
Add Items to an Invoice
- From an opened invoice, click the + button.
- The Select Product Item modal opens with your cursor focused in the "Add by Barcode" field.
- Scan the barcode. The matching item is added to the invoice and the barcode field is cleared which allows you to scan another item.
- If no matching Product or Physical Inventory exists in your Product Catalog, an error message displays.
Add Items to an Order
- From an opened order, click the lookup icon to add a product.
- The Select Product Item modal opens, focus your cursor within the "Add by Barcode" field.
- Scan the barcode.
- Click 'Add,' or press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- The system will only add a scanned item if it matches the type of item expected in the section where you clicked the lookup icon. For example, you may not scan a frame when adding a lens item to the order. If this is done accidentally, the system displays an error message that notifies you the item you scanned is not valid for the selection.