The primary diagnosis is assigned in the Assessment screen of an encounter. To have the primary diagnosis display on a claim, it has to be assigned to CPT services in the Coding screen of an encounter.
- Access Patients > search for and open a patient > Exam History > open the encounter > Assessment & Plan > Assessment.
- Within Today's Diagnoses, highlight the appropriate diagnosis and click 'Set Primary.' Note: The Set Primary button is only active for use if the encounter is unsigned.
- Access Coding > Today's Dx.
- Assign a diagnosis to a CPT service by drag and drop.
- An encounter is not fully coded until diagnoses are assigned to the services selected.
- Assignment of the diagnosis from the Master Dx tab in the Coding screen does not consider primary diagnosis.
- If assigning a diagnosis from an invoice, this action does not consider primary diagnosis.