An accelerated/advance payment is a payment intended to provide necessary funds when there is a
disruption in claims submission and/or claims processing. These expedited payments can also be
offered in circumstances such as national emergencies, or natural disasters in order to accelerate
cash flow to the impacted health care providers and suppliers. CMS is authorized to provide
accelerated or advance payments during the period of the public health emergency to any Medicare
provider/supplier who submits a request to the appropriate Medicare Administrative Contractor
(MAC) and meets the required qualifications. Access more information.
After the service has been provided, the payment will be processed and compared to the amount that was distributed as part of the prepayment. A credit statement will be sent to the practice for those services until the insurance company reaches the amount of the advanced payment.
- We recommend the practice create a fictitious patient to receive the payment.
- The patient needs to have the insurance company assigned to them.
- There are two processing options available for the prepayment.
Option One - Payments within RevolutionEHR
- Access Patients > search for and open the fictitious patient > Account.
- Click the plus icon for New Invoice.
- Click 'Insurance.'
- In the Create Invoice modal, select the insurance company and click 'Next.' Click 'Done.' Note: This action opens a new invoice.
- Click 'Add Adhoc.'
- In the Add Adhoc Item modal, input "Insurance Prepayment" into the Description field, click the TAB key on your keyboard 3x.
- Click 'Save.' Note: This action adds a line item on your invoice with $0.00 in the Unit Price column.
- Click the yellow checkmark beside Pending to change the invoice to Authorized.
- Click 'Receive Payment.'
- In the Receive Payment(s) modal, complete the fields for Payment Amount and Payment Method, click the $0.00 amount for the invoice line item.
- Input payment amount in the Payment column.
- Click 'Apply.'
- Click 'Apply Payments.'
- Click 'Grant Credit.'
- In the Grant Credit modal, check the box beside Refund Insurance, input credit amount, and select a Method. Note: This amount should match the full amount of the prepayment received.
- For an easy way to lookup prepayments in the future, we recommend using the Ref# field. e.g. Pre12345. See Example
- Click 'Save.'
- Access Admin > Vendors / Partners > Insurance Companies > search for and open the insurance payer > Refund History.
- Click the red X icon for the processed credit.
- When you receive an EOB paid from the advanced payment, post according to your normal procedures EXCEPT select "Credit" within the "Method" field.
- To track your credit payment totals, access Reports > Accounting > Receipts. Select "Receipts by Method" in the Report Type field.
Option Two - Payments outside of RevolutionEHR
- Process payments using your normal procedures.
- Post your payments within RevolutionEHR using "Other" as your Payment Method.
- In the Reference/Check # field, we recommend including "Pre" before the actual reference number.
- Continue with posting payments as per your normal process.